9 days of competition
45 countries with 550 athletes participating
72 sets of medals will be contested in
5 Paralympic sports:
- Alpine Skiing (Alpine Skiing and Para-snowboard debuting)
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Ice Sledge Hockey
- Wheelchair Curling
It is the first time Russia has hosted the Paralympics, a major international multi-sport event for athletes with disabilities governed by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
Russia broke Austria’s record of 70 medals won in 1984 in Innsbruck as the most successful host and set a record of 80 medals, including 30 gold, 28 silver and 22 bronze ones
Top Sochi 2014 Paralympics athletes to be proud of:
- The 36-year-old Russia’s Roman Petushkov was the biggest individual medal winner at the Paralympics bagging 6 golds in biathlon and cross-country events as well
- For the second straight Winter Paralympics, a Germany’s female skier Anna Schaffelhuber won 5 alpine golds
- The 20-year-old France’s Marie Bochet, who won gold in four out of her five alpine skiing events at the Paralympic Winter Games, was voted Sochi 2014’s Best Female Athlete
- USA’s Declan Farmer voted Sochi 2014’s Best Male Athlete, as at just 16 years old, he helped the USA win their second straight ice sledge hockey Paralympic title
- Canada’s Brian McKeever wins 10th career Paralympic gold by taking the title in three cross-country skiing events, in one of them having overcome a fall at the start of the race to dramatically win gold.
To read about other 14 top Sochi’s Paralympians click at paralympic.org.
Sochi 2014 broke a host of Winter Paralympic records both in terms of ticket sales (with a record of 316,200 tickets sold) and online views.
The Closing Ceremony numbers:
- 1 619 costumes and 1 516 pieces of scenery are used in the Closing Ceremony
- On the stage artists of mass choreography scenes form commas and change the inscription IMPOSSIBLE to I’M POSSIBLE!
- All 30 Sochi 2014 gold medallists from the host nation carried the Russian flag into the stadium
- The LED Forest decoration consisted of 204 luminous tubes, the length of each tube is 12 meter, with almost 1 million LED lamps hidden inside the tubes
The Ottobock technicians providing expert and high-speed repairs and servicing to Paralympians carried out 260 repairs for 138 athletes and 41 officials from 39 nations during the Sochi 2014 Paralympics.
Interested in Sochi 2014 Olympics? More vocabulary is in HOT COOL FACTS here. Also watch selected YouTube videos about Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics from EnglishHubRu.